The Workshop will be held on Wednesday 9 June 2021 as an on-line event focusing on the current and future EO educational activities in Europe, e.g. EO4GEO an Erasmus+ Sector Skills Alliance, EO College, Remote Sensing in Schools FIS, and others. The main aim of the workshop is to share experience and to stimulate discussion on the EO education future needs.
Contact: Agata Hościło (agata.hoscilo(at)igik.edu.pl), Andreas Rienow (andreas.rienow(at)ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Audience: everyone interested in Education, Training, Skills Development and Capacity Development in the Earth Observation and Gio-information sector.
GENERAL SESSION (09.06.2021)
14:45 – 15:35 “EO4GEO Towards an innovative strategy for skills development and capacity building in the space geo-information sector supporting Copernicus user uptake”
- Introduction to EO4GEO by Milva Carbonaro (GISIG)
- Presentation of GeoInformation and Earth Observation Body of Knowledge (BoK) by Marc Olijslagers (KU Leuven)
- BoK platform & tools by Sven Casteleyn (Universitat Jaume I), Rob Lemmens (University of Twente)
- An interoperable framework for training development – the example of the EO4GEO summer school on Intelligent Earth Observation by Stefan Lang and Barbara Hofer (University of Salzburg, Austria), Maria Andrzejewsk and Zbigniew Szkop (Grid Warsaw, Poland)
- How to sustain and further develop skills for EO and GI: towards a Sector Skills Strategy in Action by Danny Vandenbroucke (KU Leuven), Monica Miguel Lago (EARSC) and Kevin Ramirez (Climate-KIC)
15:35 – 15:50 “EO College – State of the art, lessons learned & roadmap for the next years” by Robert Eckardt, Nesrin Salepci, Kai Heckel, Carsten Pathe, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Germany
15:50 – 16:05 “Satellite imagery: use cases in teacher training”, Olek Jasiak, ESERO – Poland, Copernicus Science Centre.
16:05 – 16:15 Discussion over coffee
HANDS-ON SESSION (09.06.2021)
16:15 – 17:00 “From Space into the Classroom – Earth Observation and Space Missions Applied in a Curriculum-Oriented Way” Claudia Lindner, Andreas Rienow, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany (45 min)
17:00 – 17: 50 “EO tools: Introduction to data processing using OpenEO and Terrascope” by Hande Erdem, Jeroen Dries (VITO) and “EO4GEO Body of Knowledge (BoK) tools” by Sven Casteleyn, Aida Monfort (Universitat Jaume I) Rob Lemmens (University of Twente) (50 min)
17:50 – 18:00 Coffee Break
Part for EO experts to work on BoK concepts:
18:00 – 19:20 “Contribute to the EO4GEO Body of Knowledge – Enhancing content on image classification methods for monitoring the built environment” by Florian Albrecht (PLUS) / Markus Kerschbaumer and Kristyna Mechurova (SPASE)